The factory was built in 1875. It is unknown, however, what kind of factory it was. It was subsequently acquired by a new owner in 1914. The buyer experimented with the production of blue cheese from cow's milk. France was already known at this time for Roquefort cheese, but it was produced from sheep's milk. In the late 1930s, the French gained a monopoly on the name Roquefort, and so the owner had to come up with another name for his invention. Hence the name Danablu.
At the Dairy, mold cultures were grown on French bread. Once the mold had grown, it was ground on a coffee grinder, and then the cheeses were grafted with the cultures. It was a process where one had to be careful and patient. The owner bought several dairies, and gradually the export market opened up for the Danish Danablu.
In 1951, the owner sold the factory to another dairy company. The factory existed until 1982, when the dairy closed. After a number of years in which the buildings stood empty, they were taken over by a fish export company that set up a fillet factory on the site. In addition to filleting, they also made clipfish. The buildings have been empty since 1988.
Historical information supplied by Morten Stokholm Larsen
Visited: January 19, 2019
Location: Undisclosed, Denmark