The castle was built as a moated castle in the first half of the 18th century, presumably on the remains of its predecessor. At that time, the building was most likely plastered. This plaster was removed at the beginning of the 20th century. At this time, the red tiles of the mansard roof were also removed as well and replaced by a slate roof, like the four corner towers with their baroque tower domes had from the beginning.
The estate, and later also the castle, remained in possession of the same family from the 16th century until 1945. After the end of World War II, the
family was expropriated and the castle was initially used as a residence for emigrants.
In 1950 it was converted into a rest home, and in 1961 the rest home was converted into a psychiatric nursing home. This was closed in the early 1990s.
At the beginning of the 2000s, a businessman bought the castle, but none of his plans were followed through - the manager reported of plans (which were viewed positively in the village) to set up a somewhat more noble type of "entertainment company", but this plan also failed.
Renovation and construction work was partially started, but not completed. A rented crane was standing next to the castle for years, but then had to be removed due to the risk of overturning.
In 2018, a master craftsman from the village has acquired the castle and is planning to gradually renovate the property.