Since the middle of the 19th century, a textile factory had been producing on these premises, but it was set up in many smaller buildings along the main road.. y the end of the 19th century, the leather factory took up production in a few significantly larger, mostly four-floor-buildings. In the 1920s, the leather factory started a cooperation with a regional tannery and started - among other things - producing leather goods for trains at both sites. During World War II, the factories also produced equipment for the Luftwaffe as well as leather pistol holsters. The factory remained undamaged during the war and was able to take up production again as soon as 1946. The two production sites were separated again in the 1950s and henceforth produced as two autonomous companies.
The production continued over the following decades - but necessary modernization never happened. Even until the German reunification, the employees had to work with machines dating back to the founding years of the company. Sewage containing chromium was drained without prior treatment. In the final years, the factory produced leather for school satchels, bags etc.
The machines were designed to process pigskins and weren't able to process cowhide. But since after the reunification, the market for the lower grade pig's leather disappeared in large parts, the production was seized in 1991.
In the following years, there were various plans for the building, but none of them came true.