The Maison A. (also known as Villa Woodstock, also known as "Refugium Pompös") is a villa in a city in the German state of North Rhine-Westphalia. It has been classified as a heritage building by the local authority for monument protection.
The two-story building lies hidden within a small park made up of beeches and chestnut trees. A fountain is located in the outer area. The building was contructed in the style of historism with elements of the neo-renaissance style and is a typical example of a country house in the second half of the 19th century.
The ashlar front is dominated by a hexagonal tower which originally has a lantern on its top.
The entrance portal is framed by large pillars. Insinde the building lies the two-story skylight hall with a gallery and a wrought-iron handrail. The buolding has been decorarted in a very prestigious style - marble columns, opulent stuccoed ornaments, beautiful carvings and wooden wainscotings can be found.
Also noteworthy is the fully preserved original dining room with its wooden walls, the corresponding serving cabinet and a wooden coffered ceiling.
Two architects from Berlin built the mansion around 1880. In the 1970s, demolition was imminent, but the building was placed under monument protection and finally saved by a private investor.
From the 1980s until the 1990s, the villa was used as a care facility. Until circa 2010, the building was used as a retirement home by a church organisation.