The origins of this huge abandoned monument of inudstrialism date back to the late 19th century. In 1898, two brothers built a factory for the production of malt. The malt was produced for the many breweries in the region. Two more buildings were added during expansioon phases in the years 1897 and 1915.
In the time of the German separation, the malt factory became part of the "VE Getränkekombinat D." (People Owned Beverage Combine D.) and was one of eight malt production sites in the region.
In 1956, the factory was modernized. Before the German reunification, one of the three buildings was used by a company that produced seeding materials. In 1991, the factory was closed down completely. Various plans to convert the property failed, and so the decay and vandalism continues.