More than a thousand years ago, the first mill was built on this site. In its beginnings, the mill primarily catered to the needs of the settlers that had been living along the river since the
8th century. For many centuries, the area was inhabited mainly by boatmen, fishermen and millers.
In the 1850s, a businessman bought the old mill and turned it into a modern operation. In 1878, fires destroyed large parts of the mill, but investments from a specialized mill building company
not only ensured the survival of the company, but also enabled the reconstruction of the buildings and the installation of modern machines. The remaining brick buildings on the property are from
Since then, French machines with 32 milling gears, driven by seven turbines that were fueled by a weir, produced 110 metric tons of flour every day - enough not only for the needs of the city,
but also enough for the export.
Around 1875, the villa of the factory owner was built, and in 1908, the company took over another large mill operation in another part of the city.
In 1975, the mill was closed. Two large fires in 1992 and 1994 thwarted the plans for a contemporary development of the ensemble, and so the buildings are left to decay.