This abandoned penitentiary was built in 1893 and was used until 2012 to incarcerate adult male prisoners. At the time of its construction, the area the prison was built on, was still well outside of any densely populated area. Construction began in 1889 and was finished in 1893. It was built as a substitute for the old jail that had been built in 1780. According to rumors, the spot that had been chosen for the new prison has previously been the city's place of execution.
The new prison was built according to standards that were very modern at the time. It was constructed as a "Prussian cell-jail". In the second half of the 19th century, a veritable "boom" of building new prisons had gripped the Prussian-ruled parts of Germany.
Between 1892 and 1934, eight executions for murder were conducted in the prison.
Many relevant events in the German judicial system are more or less connected to this prison, for example the seperatist uprisings in 1919 and 1923, the persecution of political opponents during the time of the Nazi Reich or the famous RAF (a German terror group) trials in the 1970s.
In the "Men's House", the oldest part of the prison, mainly sentences between at least 3 and 48 months were carried out. Up to 530 inmates could be held here. Regular inmates and prisoners on remand were kept seperately. Other sections included the admission ward and the "abstinence-oriented" ward, in which inmartes were prepared for a drug therapy outside of the imprisonment.