The abandoned railyard at the German city of Luebeck was put into operation together with the freight depot in 1907 and 1908.
The depot withstood both World Wars largely undamaged, but was was downsized toward the end of the last century; the workforce consisted of about 600 men in 1985 and just 10 men when it closed in 2010.
Since then, the facilities have been largely deserted. A former shed was still used by railroad enthusiasts until 2015. The semi-circular shed was demolished in 2019.
Water was supplied to the railroad facilities via a separate pipe network connected to the municipal network.
A separate water tower was built for this, which is located near the round engine shed at the southern end of the freight depot shed. The masonry, which resembles a truncated cone, carries a basin with a capacity of several hundred hectoliters, covered by a dome. The signal tower is also out of service, but still in surprisingly good condition.
Visited: June 30, 2019
Location: Lübeck, Germany