The first buildings of the nearby train station were built as early as 1841, and the station soon became a center for travellers in all directions. Only a few years later, the capacity of the
train station wasn't enough anymore, so it was explanded in 1911.
In 1916, the railyard was built.
Another milestone was reached in 1952, when a large training workshop was opened.
In 1963, the first Diesel locomotive was introduced to the railyard and in 1979, a new, larger turntable was built.
At the beginning of the 1990s, the authorities planned to expand the railyard into a modern switchyard with 64 tracks, but realized that 32 tracks would work just as well. In the end, the plans
only included the modernization of the existing facilities, but even these plans were never realized.
Around 1995, all operations stopped and the railyard was shut down.