This abandoned hospital is a former lung sanatorium in a valley in the Harz mountains in Germany, which was planned and built from 1894 by the regional state insurance institute. In June of 1897, the sanatorium was opened for initially 40 male patients. When it was built, the village belonged to the Duchy of Braunschweig; whose then Prince Regent Albrecht of Prussia gave the home its name. Only one year after the opening of the main building, an additional building for 24 female patients was inaugurated just a few meters in the direction of the street. It was named after the wife of Prince Regent - Marie von Saxony-Altenburg.
In the sanatorium, the treatment of pulmonary tuberculosis was carried out with recumbent treatment lasting several weeks. In 1905 a Nordic style wooden church was consecrated on the site of the sanatorium.
In several stages of expansion, the capacity was greatly expanded in the following decades. In 1930, 100 male and 80 female lung patients could be admitted. In the 1930s, a pavilion-like building was also built to accommodate children with lung diseases. In the GDR, too, the Albrechtshaus initially served to combat tuberculosis.
In October 1987, due to the general decline in pulmonary tuberculosis, the specialized hospital for lung diseases became a sanatorium for cardiovascular patients. In July 1991, the clinic was converted into a rehabilitation clinic, which was closed on December 31, 1993. The clinic has been abandoned since then.
For some time, there was a project being pursued to turn the architecturally appealing main building into a "Kempinski" luxury and wellness hotel. The plans for this were well advanced and the demolition of the outbuildings had begun. However, the project was discontinued in 2009.
In the night of August 22, 2013, the entire lung sanatorium burned down after an arson attack. Since then, the building has been a fire ruin threatened with demolition.
Visited: July 3, 2014 and November 29, 2018
Location: Undisclosed, Germany