This abandoned former sugar factory has had an eventful history.
Built in the early 1870s, the building underwent various modifications at the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th century. Raw sugar was produced from sugar beets. With a daily capacity of 15,000 hundredweight of beets, it was a medium-sized sugar factory.
After the end of the war in 1945, the facilities were completely dismantled and shipped to the Soviet Union by the Soviets as reparations.
Part of the buildings was already converted into apartments in GDR times and is still used that way today. The part that is still empty today was used in various ways.
The ground floor served as a central warehouse, where citizens could sell fruit and vegetables at 12 GDR marks per kilo. From there, the goods were distributed to the stores in the area, where they were then resold at 9 GDR marks per kilo.
For a time, one of the upper floors housed a canteen for workers from surrounding businesses, and after the fall of the Berlin Wall, a beverage wholesaler was located there for a short time, but then moved to a new building on the outskirts of town.
Visited: November 28, 2019
Location: Undisclosed, Germany
Cell phone photos: