The building is one of the largest factories from Germany's "Gründerzeit", a period in the second half of the 19th century when many industrial
companies were founded.
It was built in 1876, and at its peak employed more than 5.000 people.
In 1900/1901, the mill was expanded, and together with five other companies in the area, an own industrial railway was built.
In 1914, the administration building was newly built and the entire production was reorganized to match the needs of the war.
In World War II, parts of the company were totally destroyed, production
started again in June of 1945, but rebuilding the factories took as long as 6 years.
In 1971, the production was shut down completely, and the 200 remaining employees were taken up by other companies of the region.
After its closure, the factory building was used by numerous other companies and institutions.
A lot of artists, clubs, rehearsal rooms, a discotheque and a non-commercial free radio station found their home in the industrial ruin over the years. Also to find in the building are the remains of a cloth-manufacturing company, a stand-building company and presumably the studio of a porno production company...
In 2012, the demolition of parts of the textile mill started because there was the danger of a collapse of the building.
Some parts are still in use for cultural events like poetry slams, jam sessions and music workshops.
Visited: November 3, 2013 and November 24, 2016
Location: Undisclosed, Germany
Status: Abandoned / Renovation Planned
Gallery Update! New photos taken on November 24, 2016.