Since the Middle Ages, the manufacture of cloth has been an important basis of life in this part of Eastern Germany. The first "privilege" dates back to 1324. The conditions were good. A lot of sheep farms in the region ensured a steady flow of fresh wool. By the end of the 17th century, there were more than 100 cloth manufacturers in the town of W. and by 1825 even more.
The bustle, however, began to decline with the beginning of the industrial revolution. By the end of the 19th century, the cloth manufacturing had been concentrated in two large companies that both moved their facilities to the edge of town around 1900.
This is one of the factories. It was built around 1900 and consists of a six-floor production building and some sawtooth roof halls.
In World War II, the era of the cloth production ended for this factory.
Instead, the resources were used to produce parts for Arado airplanes.
Some cloth makers began manufacturing again in the old buildings after the war, but around 1950, the production buildings were refit for a furniture factory.
After the German reunification, an investor from West Germany took over the business and tried to keep the furniture production running, but he only succeeded for about four years.
The factory has been abandoned for about 20 years now...