This military facility was built from 1937 until 1939, when the German Air Force moved
their first soldiers here.
In 1945, these were replaced by British soldiers.
Before German troops moved back into the barracks, the buildings hosted, among others, a bubble gum factory, a coal merchant, a primary school, a vocational school, even police stations.
In the years since 1959, various training units of the German Luftwaffe were stationed here.
The basic military training of the recruits took place here and this was the site of the Luftwaffe's NCO school.
All buildings we entered had sheltered basements and most of them also bunkers. Two of
the barrack buildings even have nuclear shelters, and also the officer's and petty officer's club had shelters.
All the bunkers still had a lot of equipment in them. Beds, toilets, metal drums, seats...
We also found rooms for various purposes in the basements, even a photo laboratory! The heating systems and distributors were still fully intact, so they made for some nice pictures, too.