This military airbase in the northeastern part of Germany was originally built in 1934 and served mainly as airfield for glider activity under the Nazi's initiative to revive the air skills of the Luftwaffe. The actual military development and expansion happend in the years 1938-40.
Until the end of World War II, the airbase was used by various units of the German Luftwaffe.
On May 3, 1945, the airbase was taken by the advancing Red Army.
Subsequently, numerous Soviet fighter units were stationed here and the runway was expanded to a length of 2.400 meters. From 1961, the stationed air regiments included the 33 IAP (Fighter Regiment), which since the 1980s was equipped with MiG-29 Fulcrum and the MiG-23UM Flogger-C operational trainer. The regiment was part of the 16th GwIAD (Guards Fighter Division) within the 16th Luftarmee.
After the German reuinification, the base was given back to German authorities on June 20, 1994.
GALLERY UPDATE! New photos from Jan. 2, 2016.