Southwest of a small East German town, a military airfield was built in the 1930s as part of the rearmamament of the German Reich.
Since 1945, the airfield was used by the Soviets as a garrison. The 21st Mobile Artillery Division was stationed here, and the area was continually used as an auxiliary airfield.
A disitncitve feature of the Soviet era in this place was the use as a site for SA-6 and SA-2/4/11 anti-aircraft batteries.
In later years, an earth-covered storage for SS-21 nuclear missiles.
In the early 1990s, the Soviet troops left Germany, and most of the buildings are left to decay. Some parts are used by an "areo-club", and the original runway area has been converted into a solar field.