In July of 1951, the Western Allies agreed that Germany had to build a civil air defense system.
The Department of the Interior set up the committee for air defense in November of the same year, which in 1953 merged into the Federal Office for Air Defense.
In 1954, the German constitution was changed in order to give the government the authority to build a civil defense.
Integral parts of the civil air defense since 1956 were the ten so-called "Warnämter" (Warning Offices).
These were tasked with
- issuing warnings during a state of defense by sirens and over the radio
- issuing the all-clear-signal with sirens and over the radio
- maintaining a constant flow of information to critical administration and industry operations
On the basis of the collected data, the director of the warning station made decisions concerning the alert status for the population in his warning
area and also about the contents and about the nature of the alarm.
The shelter was designed to be able to operate independently for at least 30 days. In order to achieve this, it was constructed with its own independent water supply from two deep wells, two emergency generators with a power output of 120 kVA and 30 kVA, climate control and ventilation system with switchable sand and room filters. There was a kitchen with supply room and cooling room for perparing the meals of the personnel and a sick bay for injured or sick personnel.
Here's the list of rooms to put into the warning station shelter according to the 1962 construction program for the air defense service:
All ten warning stations in germany were designed the same way.