As early as 1933/34 the first barracks were built as the foundations of the flight school of the yet to establish Luftwaffe. In October of 1933, the first 1.500 students were enrolled. The existing buildings were probably built between 1934 and 1935. The construction was kept a total secret - neither the exact dates of the construction nor the name(s) of the architect(s) are known.
When in 1935, the "Deutsche Luftwaffe" was revealed, the facility was publicly recognized as a military installation. Here, pilots were trained as well as the ground personnel tasked with the maintenance of the airplanes. Widely undamaged, the buildings withstood World War II, and after 1945, the facilities were taken over by the Soviet Army. Over the course of the following almost 50 years, Soviet artillery and tank units were trained here. The buildings have been abandoned since 1994.