During World War II, the Oxygen Factory II was used for the industrial production of liquid oxygen which was then used for fuel in the infamous "Aggregat 4"-rockets
The building measures more than 70 meters in length, is alsmost 43 meters wide and about 20 meters high.
It was built in a skeleton structure and has an additional elongated one-floor structure on the roof.
The abandoned oxygen factory displays architectural some features of a sacral building, most noticeably the five-aisle, asymmetric layout with nine nave bays - the classical layout of a
Construction of the factory started at the end of the year 1939 using forced laborers from conentration camps as well as POWs.
By the end of June of 1942, the fuel production had started. Until 1945, the factory produced liquid oxygen by applying Linde's Process to break down air in its components and liquefying the
oxygen at -183°C.
Of the 30 MW that were produced in the Peenemünde power plant, about 20-25 MW were used by the oxygen factory alone.
After the war, the plant was dismantled starting in 1947. In 1948, parts of the factory were blown up in accordance with the allied treaties. Stones were stolen and used as contruction material
in the years that followed, which put the former factory in the condition it still has today.