This facility, which extends over more than one square kilometer, is located in a forest in the German state of Mecklenburg-West Pomerania.
The abandoned complex, secured by fences, consists of a large number of buildings and bunkers. The buildings include an administration building, the staff area with motor vehicle halls and workshops, a canteen and social building, a group of ammunition workhouses, the shell washer, some packaging houses and the tarpaulin hall as well as a locomotive shed and the remains of the railway line used for transporting the ammunition.
In the course of the German rearmament, the ammunition factory was established from 1935 as the main ammunition facility in the "Luftgau III". Ammunition for the Spanish Civil War was supplied from here as early as 1937.
In order to be able to cover the need for ammunition, which increased sharply at the beginning of World War II, women from the area were conscripted to work in the ammunition works. From 1940, prisoners of war from Poland and France were used in production, from 1941 also prisoners of war from the USSR, before in 1942 prisoners from the Ravensbrück concentration camp were transferred to work here.
The women had to clean spent flak casings with harsh chemicals in the so-called casing wash. In the ammunition workhouses, the propellant charges were weighed and filled, and the detonators were screwed into the grenades.
Non-explosive material was stored in packing houses. In addition, the women also had to take on the heaviest transport tasks.
After the end of the Second World War, the Red Army initially used the facility for trophy storage. In 1949, a fuel depot was set up by the Soviets, which was expanded in the 1960s and 1970s.
The facility has been empty since the last troops left in 1994.
The packaging houses and other buildings and bunkers have largely been converted into bat habitats, so it is not possible to enter them.
Visited: November 23, 2019
Location: Undisclosed, Germany