This is an almost 530 meter long building (also known as "Kilometerbau") which served as a Soviet garrison during the occupation of Eastern Germany.
Obviously, at some point in the past, the demolition of the derelict building has begun. Parts of it have been torn down almost entirely, but the central corridor is almost completely unharmed by the demolition work. You can see rubble from the demolished parts that built piles in the hallway from the sides. But it's been at least a couple of years since there was any work done.
The 530 meter long building used to be the home for more than 1.100 soldiers of the German Luftwaffe from 1937 until 1945.
The airfield existed since 1935 and in 1936, a training unit was stationed there.
In 1940, various fighter squadrons were moved to the airfield in preparation of "Operation Weserübung".
After this, the airfield served as an intermediate stop and station for refitting for a couple of squadrons.
Until the end of April 1945, bombers were still starting from this airfield to fly airstrikes against the Red Army. On May 2, 1945, the place was occupied by U.S. forces and then passed on to the Soviets two months later.
In a town not too far from this location, there used to be beautiful aristocratic red-brick horse stables. These are no more, since the Soviets tore them down and used the fire red bricks in reconstructing and repair the damages done to the building during the war.
It is these red bricks that come pouring through the doors as parts of the building are being demolished for development of the area.
The story of the garrison is over, only the buildings are left to tell its tales, and that too might be over sometime in the future.
In 2003, demolition has begun of parts of the building. You can see it by the bricks pouring into the hallways through the side doors. It seems, though, as if there hasn't been a lot of work since back then.
Rumor has it that the old building is supposed to make room for living apartments. Part of it is really shut off with fences and wooden boards, so I think that at least part of the original building will be integrated into a new ensemble.
Visited: Januar 4, 2014 / March 1, 2015 / May 25, 2019
Location: Undisclosed, Germany
GALLERY UPDATE: New photos added taken on March 1, 2015
GALLERY UPDATE: New photos added taken on May 25, 2019