This large depot was built by the Wehrmacht between 1939 and 1941. There are two areas - the main depot and the auxiliary depot. Both are about the same size of around 20 hectares. The photos on this page are from the main depot and the administration.
From 1941 until 1945, it was used as a depot for uniforms and other materials the German army needed. After the war, it was as a supply depot by the Soviet Armed Forces. Since the withdrawal of the Soviets in 1991, the buildings are abandoned.
As the central suplly depot for their armed forces in Germany, it was used to store clothing, spare parts and other materials. Uniforms were also repaired here. There was a dry cleaning shop and a sewing shop. In addition, a transportation unit was stationed on the area as well as the administration personnel.
Next to the main depot, a supply brigade of the Soviet Minitry for Defense was stationed in rthe auxiliary depot. Both areas had multiple connections to the railway.
Architecturally the main depot is remarkable for its vast halls and the bridges that are interconnecting the many buildings on the premises.
Over the years, vandals and graffiti "artists" have taken their toll on the buildings.
Some of the wall paintings, however, do have a certain aesthetic appeal.