The prison was built in 1904 and has been abandoned for several years following various temporary uses. Bushes and trees grow in the outside area.
The building encloses an inner courtyard with two main buildings and two lower side wings. Thick wooden doors are half-open on three to four floors.
Small rooms are hidden behind it: They are the former cells of sailors who were under arrest or remand.
Numerous prisoners awaited their sentences here during the Third Reich, including the submarine commander
Oskar Kusch, who was only 26 years old and executed on the local military firing range in 1944.
In the basement there are doors made of heavy iron bars, chain rings on the walls, and there are scratches in the plaster in some places. Oskar Kusch must also have been here - and many of his executed comrades.
At the moment, there are no plans for continued use. The association that takes care of the building would like the city to include the building in the district's development plan without neglecting its historical significance.
The "relics" that can be seen in the photos are props that were set up there as part of a play to commemorate the Kiel sailors' uprising in November 1918. They have not been removed until today and give the location a further historical note.